My Christmas list looks like a paper war zone. I have crossed off, scribbled over and shifted names and gifts until there isn’t much space left to write, and no I am not done yet. I am not a good shopper. I am swayed by what I see, completely unstable in my decisions.
But God is not like me. His nature is unchanging.
Prophecies throughout the Old Testament of a coming Redeemer testify of a God who fulfills His promises.
- Matthew 1:22 “Now all this took place to fulfill what was spoken by the Lord through the prophet.” (Isaiah 7:14)
- Matthew 2:6 “…for this is what has been written by the prophet…” (Micah 5:2)
- Matthew 2:15 “This was to fulfill what had been spoken by the Lord through the prophet.” (Hosea 11:1)
- Matthew 2:17 “Then what had been spoken through Jeremiah the prophet was fulfilled.” (Jeremiah 31:15)
- Matthew 2:23 “This was to fulfill what was spoken through the prophets.” (Judges 13:5)
The promised Messiah came exactly as God said He would.
Unlike the fickleness of my nature, His is Unchangeable.
“Jesus Christ,” …a tiny baby gulped His first shuddering breaths,
“is the same yesterday,” …a cry pierced the night,
“and today” …and an Unchangeable God revealed Himself,
“and forever.” …in the soft folds of newborn flesh. (Hebrews 13:8; NASB)